By Victoria Hasko, Renee Perelmutter
This quantity unifies a large breadth of interdisciplinary experiences interpreting the expression of movement in Slavic languages. The individuals to the quantity have joined within the dialogue of Slavic movement speak from diachronic, typological, comparative, cognitive, and acquisitional views with a selected concentrate on verbs of movement, the nuclei of the lexicalization styles for encoding movement. movement verbs are infamous between Slavic linguists for his or her baffling idiosyncratic habit of their lexical, semantic, syntactical, and aspectual features. The collaborative attempt of this quantity is aimed either at highlighting and accounting for the original houses of Slavic verbs of movement and at situating Slavic languages in the better framework of typological examine investigating cross-linguistic encoding of the movement area. a result of multiplicity of methods to the linguistic research the gathering deals, it is going to certainly supplement classes and courses of research targeting Slavic linguistics in addition to typology, diachronic and comparative linguistics, semantics, and moment language acquisition.
Read Online or Download New Approaches to Slavic Verbs of Motion (Studies in Language Companion Series) PDF
Best foreign languages books
Welsh, just like the different Celtic languages, is best-known among linguists for its verb-initial note order and its use of preliminary consonant mutations. but it has many extra features that are of curiosity to syntacticians. it is a concise and available evaluation of the most important syntactic phenomena of Welsh.
With train your self, Greek will not be all Greek to you anymore! With this bestselling software, you could study Greek from the relaxation of your home, at your personal speed. This revised and up to date direction introduces you to useful subject matters, reminiscent of making commute preparations, assembly anyone new, purchasing, and different on a daily basis actions.
Chinese language, eastern, South (and North) Koreans in East Asia have a protracted, intertwined and uncommon cultural historical past and feature accomplished, or are within the means of reaching, mind-blowing fiscal luck. jointly, those 3 peoples make up one area of the area inhabitants. They use a number of specified and engaging writing structures: logographic chinese language characters of old beginning, in addition to phonetic structures of syllabaries and alphabets.
- Through the Language Glass: Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages
- Persian Fiction Reader, Second Edition
- The Morphology and Syntax of Topic and Focus: Minimalist inquiries in the Quechua periphery (Linguistik Aktuell/Linguistics Today)
- Productivity: Evidence from Case and Argument Structure in Icelandic (Constructional Approaches to Language)
Extra resources for New Approaches to Slavic Verbs of Motion (Studies in Language Companion Series)
The topographical descriptions in ID, SN and Const constitute the narrative rather than augment it, and the clauses with verbs of motion and position that they attest almost invariably have a contextually available thematic constituent which links the clause to what has gone before and which helps to create the text. The insistent use of demonstrative modifiers in ID underscores the density of the text-forming connections. The texts in the corpus can be divided into three groups according to their dominant organizing feature.
14) (Th 47a. ’ (Th 28c. ’ (Th 46c. The particle se is of limited usefulness as a diagnostic of expressiveness, for its appearance is restricted to only the highest-style texts, primarily Th. A further point of contrast between the two sets of examples just given is that the former – with the full inversion of the theme and the rheme – both occur in direct speech, whilst the latter are found in the authorial narration. The remaining sixteen clauses have diverse combinations of syntactic and pragmatic characteristics and include both rheme-theme ordered clauses and rheme-themerheme ordered clauses.
Finally, to simplify classification, clauses containing more than one non-consecutive X constituent have been omitted. Clauses of this degree of complexity are reasonably frequent in ID and Const, rare or unattested in the other sources. The final corpus contains 697 clauses. 4. The data In Tables 1 and 2 the data are categorized according to the basic arrangement of the syntactic units S, V and X. Sequences of more than one spatial expression are grouped together with single X constituents. No account has been taken of the presence or absence of other constituents such as adverbs or temporal adjuncts.