By Anne O'Brien
After the demise of her stepfather, girl Rosamund de Longsprey idea to prevent an prepared marriage with a repugnant guy through taking to her newly inherited lands. regardless of the deplorable stipulations and missed lands, Rose is set to make it paintings as the replacement isn't whatever she is keen to do. regrettably for Rose, Lord Gervase Fitz Osbern is simply as made up our minds to take again his lands that have been stolen from his kinfolk. Fitz Osbern exhibits up and speedy takes keep an eye on of the fort a lot to the chagrin and annoyance of Rose. either are confident of sole possession, and either are obstinately attempting to oust the opposite. Neither one is keen to offer any flooring, nor will both one put up. Will somebody continue to exist? And who will lay declare to the lands?
I totally enjoyed this tale. I occurred upon this prize relatively accidentally as i used to be shopping the cabinets of a neighborhood paperback trade bookstall. The blurb at the again stuck my recognition, however it used to be it slow prior to I opened it. i used to be fast stuck up within the tale and the characters; I quickly came upon myself racing to learn to determine the way it might all finish. either Rose and Gervase are powerful and dominate characters. fortunately, they stayed actual to these features during the tale and nonetheless had a really fulfilling end.
The first scene we learn is of Gervase taking on the property. It comes throughout fairly brutally, and that i discovered myself asking the query "how am I to love this man?" Then, the tale flashes again 2 weeks and we see issues from the start and WOW. i used to be hooked.
What I enjoyed:
1. woman Rose--she is astounding! She is opinionated, decided, crafty, proud, and clever. She can also be compassionate and courageous. I enjoyed that she grew because the tale improved. sure, she was once blameless of some ways of the realm, yet she wasn't overly naïve and silly approximately it. She used to be headstrong, occasionally to her detriment, yet consistently for a cause.
2. Lord Gervase--what a hottie! He used to be robbed of his lands and stole them correct again. even supposing he's an honorable knight, he performs the position of a rowdy brigand in hopes it is going to ship Rose working. His makes an attempt are quite humorous in view that he betrays himself with acts of generosity and civility from time to time. And as soon as he cleans himself up...all his usual attraction quite shines through.
3. Contess Petronilla and Lord Hugh de Mortimer--Rose's mom and Gervase's buddy further a pleasant contact of sanity to stability out the bullheadedness of either Rose and Gervase. additionally, I enjoyed Rose's mother for simply being there and being a mother. She wasn't controlling, yet supportive.
4. The Undermining of Authority--I enjoyed the subtleties (and no longer so sophisticated methods) utilized by either Rose and Gervase to realize the higher hand. I additionally preferred that it wasn't continuously person who got here out on best. in reality, it usually appeared judicious. It's infuriating to learn tales the place the girl is so naïve that she is needs to be rescued through an all figuring out guy. right here, we had a well-balanced conflict the place nobody ever looked as if it would really be answerable for the situation.
5. The Romance--with such headstrong humans, there's guaranteed to be sparks after they meet. They either slowly and punctiliously fall in love with the opposite. And it was once effortless to determine why they enjoyed every one other.
6. The Ending--with either decided to be the conqueror, it used to be nail-biting to attend and spot how obdurate humans could come jointly with no filing. It was once good performed. I enjoyed how Rose placed to exploit the unorthodox suggestion of the Queen.
What I didn't like:
The purely factor that I didn't like was once the various flashbacks: it was once a piece complicated from time to time. Am I examining anything happening at once? Or did this take place previously?
All in all, i actually loved this tale. It was once a hugely pleasing tale with plausible characters and an emotional romance. this can be one I'm going to carry directly to and never ship again to the paperback alternate shop.