By Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (auth.), Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (eds.)
The background of computing has its origins on the outset of civilization. As cities and groups advanced there has been a necessity for more and more refined calculations. This publication strains the evolution of computation, from early civilisations 3000 B.C. to the newest key advancements in smooth times.
This necessary and full of life textual content presents a finished advent to the main themes within the heritage of computing, in an easy-to-follow and concise demeanour. It covers the numerous components and occasions within the box - from the traditional Egyptians via to the current day - and either offers the reader a flavour of the background and stimulates extra learn within the subject.
• excellent for undergraduate classes, it deals many pedagogical positive aspects resembling chapter-opening key subject matters, bankruptcy introductions, routines, bankruptcy summaries, word list, etc.
• bargains distinctive info on significant figures in computing, resembling Boole, Babbage, Shannon , Turing and Von Neumann
• contains a background of programming languages, together with syntax and semantics
• provides an summary of the background of software program engineering
• Discusses the development of synthetic intelligence, with extension to such key disciplines as philosophy, psychology, linguistics, neural networks and cybernetics
• Examines the historical past of the net revolution, world-wide-web and Dot-Com Bubble
• Follows the evolution of a couple of significant expertise businesses equivalent to IBM, Motorola and Microsoft
Focusing at the basic components within the computing box, this in actual fact written and broad-ranging textual content will seize the eye of the reader and tremendously gain computing device technology scholars. additionally, it's compatible for self-study, and also will be of curiosity to the extra informal reader.
Dr Gerard O’Regan is a CMMI software program technique development advisor with learn pursuits together with software program caliber and software program procedure development; mathematical techniques to software program caliber; and the historical past of computing. He has released A sensible method of software program Quality and Mathematical ways to software program Quality.
Read or Download A Brief History of Computing PDF
Similar history_1 books
;Reggiane Re. 2001 Falco II Re. 2002 & Re. 2005 [Aircraft Profile 244] КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ Название: Reggiane Re. 2001 Falco II Re. 2002 & Re. 2005 Автор:John F. Brindley Серия: airplane Profile 244 Издательство: Profile courses Ltd Год издания: 1972 Страниц:25 Формат: PDF в rarЯзык: английский Размер: 12.
The Cambridge Yearbook of eu criminal experiences presents a discussion board for the scrutiny of important matters in eu Union legislations, the legislation of the Council of Europe, and Comparative legislation with a 'European' size, fairly these concerns that have come to the fore in the course of the yr previous book.
The foundation and progress of towns in antiquity. The starting place and progress of towns types some of the most vital chapters in human background. during this quantity, 17 researchers current archaeological, epigraphic and textual information at the upward thrust of urbanism within the historical close to jap global, Cyprus to Mesopotamia and from Crete to Egypt.
- AFV Weapons Profile No. 51: Abbot FV433 Self-Propelled Gun
- Deutsche Sprache und Kolonialismus: Aspekte der nationalen Kommunikation 1884-1919 (German Edition)
- Knowledge As Value : Illumination Through Critical Prisms, 1570-7113 (At the Interface Probing the Boundaries ; V. 50 )
- Aircraft of the Luftwaffe Fighter Aces I: A Chronicle in Photographs
- A History of Indian Literature, Volume VI: Scientific and Technical Literature, Part 3, Fasc. 4: Jyotiḥśāra: Astral and Mathematical Literature
Extra info for A Brief History of Computing
Similarly, the Boolean constant “False” is the identity operation for disjunction. Conjunction distributes over disjunction and vice versa. De Morgan’s Law states that the negation of the conjunction of two operands is the same as the 34 2 Foundations disjunction of the negation of each operand. The idempotent property states that the application of the conjunction or disjunction logical operator to two operands that are A yields the proposition A. Truth Tables enable the truth-values of a compound proposition to be determined from its underlying propositions.
5 Finite differences x 1 2 3 4 5 f (x) 6 15 28 45 66 Diff. 1 Diff. 3 Babbage 41 The initial problem is then to compute the first row as this enables successive rows to be computed. The Difference Engine cannot compute a particular value, and its approach is to calculate successive values starting from a known one and the first row of differences. The computation of the first row for the example above is easy, but it is more difficult for more complex polynomials. The other problem is to find a suitable polynomial to represent the function that you wish to calculate.
The Greeks made major contributions to western civilization including mathematics, logic, philosophy, politics, drama, and architecture. Euclid developed a systematic treatment of geometry starting from a small set of axioms, postulates and definitions to derive and prove a comprehensive set of theorems. Euclid’s Elements has been in use as a textbook for over 2000 years. The Romans developed a cumbersome number system that is still used in clocks today. They also developed the Julian calendar and employed simple ciphers to ensure that information communicated was kept confidential.